Ireland's Publication for the refinishing & associated Industries

Bodyshop gets Certificate of Compliance advice

Bodyshops due to renew their Certificate of Compliance this year are being urged to prepare for their inspection in order to maximise the chances off getting a three-year certification.

If your certificate of authorisation is expiring in 2015 then you should prepare now for your re-inspection. Having a fully compliant inspection will ensure that you are allowed the maximum three year certification period, while non-compliances are likely to result in a shorter period of certification, an EPA spokesman told

The EPA recommends that owners /managers should spend some time preparing for their inspection to improve their chances of a successful assessment. This will save time, effort and money in the long run.

It is advisable to read the he guidance for bodyshops available at and having done that apply for the assessment in plenty of time to allow time to correct non-compliances. You will be given a month to address any problems.

The EPA advises that the certificate will always be issued from the date of expiry of the last certificate even if you submit your application in advance.

Bodyshops must keep a a compliance file with all the relevant information in one place and keep a list of all purchased product types broken down into the relevant product category.

Similarly, Bodyshops must obtain a copy of the permit / licence from their waste collector(s) and keep records of all solvent containing wastes sent off site.

Bodyshops should keep a copy of their Certificate of Compliance in a prominent location at their premises.

Records of all training given to staff, even if this is in-house training should be kept in a safe place for inspection.

Bodyshops are reminded that they should not use non-compliant products, as this is an offence under the regulations.

Finally owners / managers are advised to engage with their approved assessor to close out any non-compliances.

Details of non-compliant bodyshops or paint suppliers should be reported to the Approved Assessor or to the local authority directly, or by phoning the National Environmental Complaints Line (in confidence) on 1850 365 121.