Never before has there been such a wide range of OEM finishes on our roads. Due to the use of 2-stage and 3-stage pearlescents many of the finishes on vehicles are transparent colours, which naturally do not give good opacity; therefore can require several coats to achieve coverage. Applying several coats is both time consuming and costly in paint per repair volume. PPG Greymatic® Primer System provides an efficient solution to help overcome this issue.
With the use of a PPG Greymatic Primer system, efficient coverage can be achieved over the complete colour range, even the most difficult of colours.
The Greymatic® Concept
Greymatic®Perceived opacity is best achieved by using a primer that matches the lightness and darkness of the topcoat colour. Coloured primers attempt to achieve this by providing a broad range of colours, which rarely match the depth of lightness or darkness of the topcoat, and are therefore limited in their effectiveness. PPG research shows that by using a neutral grey primer, the intensity of a specific topcoat colour can be matched, therefore minimising the number of coats of colour required to achieve perceived opacity. The five shades of grey available from PPG Greymatic Primers give maximum opacity benefits over a wide range of colours to ensure that high quality colour matches can be achieved quickly and easily with low opacity topcoat colours.
PPG Greymatic® systems
The PPG Greymatic system is a range of grey shades available in the PPG Primer System, designed to allow you to use the correct grey shade for the colour including greymatic filler and wet on wet primer. The system has been developed to incorporate a range of five shades of grey suitable for use under all covers that can be achieved from just three products white, grey and dark grey (G1,G5,G7).
PPG currently offer greymatic primers in the following product systems:
• D8010/D8015/D8017 Rapid Greymatic HS Surfacer G1, G5, G7
• DP4000 2K Primer G1, G5, G7
• DP3000 Enviro Primer Surfacer G1,G5,G7
The Benefits to your bodyshop in using PPG Greymatic systems
• The systems are simple to use, and every PPG colour formula recommends the optimum shade of grey primer to be used
• Just two products can be used to mix all five greys
• Faster repair as fewer coats are needed to achieve opacity so saves spraying and drying time
• Increases your profitability by saving spray booth time.
• Reduced material consumption due to fewer coats of coloured topcoats being used can save on costs, labour time and the volume of paint used per repair.
• Avoid costly reworks where incorrect primer shade is used
• Overall final appearance colour is not compromised as the colour match is improved
PPG Greymatic® Identification Tool
To support your bodyshop in identifying the correct greymatic shades for application PPG have developed a Greymatic Identification tool. The purpose of this tool is to help you reduce the amount of basecoat material needed to achieve perceived coverage. Use of the PPG Greymatic Identification Tool will help you to select the correct primer shade, and avoid situations where the incorrect primer shade is used.